Sunday 15 May 2016

Drama Review: Madame Antoine | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

I recently finished watching the drama 'Madame Antoine' and wanted to share my thoughts on the drama.


So for those who don't really know what this drama is about then allow me to explain. It starts with Go Hye Rim, owner of the cafe 'Madame Antoine' and fortune teller, who supposedly channels the spirit of Marie Antoinette who speaks to her to read people's fortunes. She then proceeds to meet the psychologist, Choi Soo Hyun, who has opened a psychological treatment center right above her cafe, that is also subsequently called 'Madame Antoine'. They immediately don't see eye to eye and dislike each other (causing a lot of bickering). Hye Rim is then placed as a counceler at the center, to both of their discontent. Partially in order to toy with Hye Rim, Soo Hyun decides to enlist her as the main experimental subject in an experiment he's carrying out in order to prove that true love does not exist. As part of the experiment, Soo Hyun sends out 2 other men (and his younger brother, a retired athlete, Choi Seung Chan, and Soo Hyun's assistant and young genius, Won Ji Ho) to try and win Hye Rim's heart. When he fails to find a third man for the experiment, Soo Hyun decides to put himself forward and also tries to woo Hye Rim. Shocks, surprises, laughs and humiliation insues.

I found out about this drama off a friend who had really enjoyed it, so I decided to have a watch and immediately fell in love. It's really funny but touching at the same time. And one thing I also like is that it's not just about one thing. It's not just about the experiment. It's not just about Soo Hyun and Hye Rim's relationship. (I can't say much more without giving away but you get what I mean), it's about a load of things at one time which I like since, in my opinion, it makes it a more well-rounded drama. That's one thing that was lacking for me with, for example, 'My Love From The Star', it's just about Do Min Jun and Cheon Song Yi and their relationship, with little-to-no side plots (well, there were some, but none were that gripping), where as this one is full of them and I feel it allows a lot more chance for character growth.


One thing that wasn't quite to my taste in this drama is that it was a little bit all over the place at times. In a few episodes I couldn't help but think to myself 'what's the point to this plot line?' or simply that some plot lines, that could have been very happy with, let's say, 2? 3 episodes? But instead they're dragged out across numerous episodes almost to serve as fillers to the episode. I get that some plot lines need more episodes than others, but there's one about an actress with histrionic personality disorder, that lasts about 3 or 4 episodes, when really, it could have been solved at 2 or 3 episodes, maximum.
Another thing is the experiment. It goes on and on and after a while it's a bit dull and I think I speak for many people when I say that at times I couldn't help but think "okay, we get it! Make your mind up already!".

Other than that, really, I was very happy with this drama. It was really funny, interesting and it managed to grip me which is refreshing as normally I'm seriously picky with things like series and dramas that I like. Plus, I mean, let's face it, the guys on this drama are pretty easy on the eyes! (I feel like I say that for every drama - why do Korean men have to be so damn cute and hot at the same time?! *sulks in a corner* "bloody Seo In Guk with his cute lil' smile and his hair. And what's with Sung Joon and that smirk? *carries on sulking until she realises how dumb she's being and gets herself together*).

What drama should I watch next? I've heard many good things about Descendants From The Sun. Though I have many dramas backed up that I want to watch so we'll see.

What dramas have you been loving recently?

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment