Sunday 24 July 2016

NCT 127 "Firetruck" MV Review | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

Today I want to talk about the new group (well, I think they're new, I'm so confused about who's coming and going now that I'm kind of like 'meh, fuck it'), NCT 127.


Bit of a backstory to explain what the hell this group is about: the concept of NCT is that it's a group with an unlimited number of members, divided into multiple sub-units based in different cities worldwide (if you ask me this is going to get more and more complicated, I can feel it coming!).
So far there are two Seoul-based units; the six-membered NCT U and the seven-membered NCT 127.

NCT U debuted in April this year with 'The 7th Sense' (the one that brought this group to my attention) and 'Without You'. They're the main unit of the group.
NCT 127 also debuted in April this year with Firetruck (the song I'm going to be reviewing).
There's a unit that's scheduled for Tokyo, Beijing, and Shanghai. (Thank you Wikipedia, I owe you one).

They came to my attention, I can't remember how, or when, for that matter, but it was with the "The 7th Sense". I'd heard on Twitter about NCT 127, and decided to have a listen to 'Firetruck'.

Anyway! I'm getting so bloody sidetracked; I listened to their song and wanted to share my thoughts on this about what I thought about it.

As usual, I'm going to start with the song (and pretend I know anything about music other than "it sounds good").

The song is good, very catchy and I really like it, I really like the drums and how they mix the melody.
Though I have to say that at times they do sound like they've been kicked in the balls.

I have nothing more to say about the song, to be honest. It's good, and I like it, but it's nothing special.

On to the MV, it's basically a mix between a story of a girl growing up and them dancing. The choreo's very good, though, I really like the way it works with the music.

However, if I've said it once, I've said it a million times - K-Pop MV directors, PLEASE STOP THE JUMP CUTS AND THE LIGHTS! It's enough to give you an epileptic fit!! It's unnecessary and doesn't make the video look any better.

Another thing - I have a theory about this MV; the stylist and the director did LSD before shooting. Just throwing that out there.

On a whole, this is a pretty good MV, nothing "omfg what that's so cool what this is amazing", but it's not as bad as some things.

I'm going to give Firetruck 3 kimchis out of 5.

What do you think of this group/concept? Let me know in the comments and we can chat. And, as always, if there's any specific reviews or posts you'd like me to do, then comment or DM me and your wish shall be my command.

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment