Sunday 4 September 2016

EXO 'LOTTO' MV Review | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

EXO came back again! I was really intrigued after having seen a few things about it on Twitter, but they were generally from EXO-Ls so I decided to have a listen myself to see what I thought about it.


The song in itself is very different to anything EXO's released from what I've heard from them, in any case. It's a very RnB type beat instead of their funk/hip-hop type that they usually do. The song is basically about how they're really rich and don't need money so they spend it on champagne, women and gambling which to be totally honest disappointed me because it's quite a superficial concept, but then on the other hand I do like because you don't always need to be talking about something really deep and serious. There's a lot of criticism about this song as they were rather heavy-handed with the autotune and you really can hear it (right from the start it sounds very warbly and robotic - a telltale sign that autotune's been used). I was disappointed when I heard that they had used autotune, especially to the point where it was so noticeable, since EXO have nice voices to begin with (at least, I think? It's making me doubt every song of theirs I've ever listened to). I actually think it would have sounded better without the autotune but it's too late now, though I have to admit that it does give a nice and rather different effect to what it would be if they were to not have used autotune. 

The MV is pretty straightforward for the most part. They're spending money, gambling, partying, being rich lil' shits as you do. Then there are other shots where there's a girl running and a wolf and then one of them (I think it's Chanyeol?) picks her up and they drive away but get caught and arrested by the police and to be honest those parts I didn't really understand at first, but from reading the comments I've kind of figured out that it's because they were running the gambling rings like illegal cock fighting (as soon as I saw that I knew someone was going to have a hissy fit about it) so that's why they got arrested in the end, though I still don't get who the girl is. Feel free to explain in the comments if I'm so ignorant it hurts you inside. 

As a whole, I really enjoyed this MV. Despite all the things it's been criticised for (not sounding like other EXO songs, cock fighting, autotune), I really enjoyed it and thought it deserves a lot of love because it is actually a really good, catchy song, that is, for once, different to what everyone else (or at least the groups I listen to) are releasing nowadays, which is really refreshing. 

What do you think of LOTTO? Let me know in the comments.

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment