Sunday 14 August 2016

Anime For Beginners | Dying For Drama

Annyeong!

*Sigh*... You know how I'd said that I couldn't get into anime? Well, I guess I can eat my words. I, for once, remember what got me into anime. A friend of mine shared a clip of "Prison School" and I'd found it really funny. It didn't really register at first but then later on I thought about it again and decided to give it a watch. I spoke to my friend Gaelle and she recommended a few to me, and now I've decided to recommend a few of the best animes for beginners.

Prison School



This is set in an all girl's school that has just started accepting boys. Thousands of applicants tried their luck... and only 5 boys are accepted. Being teenage boys surrounded by a thousand girls, well, they got rather interested in the female anatomy. They get caught trying to look into the girl's bathroom, and get thrown into the school's prison (yes, they have a prison in the school, as you do) by the Underground Student Council (USC). They get forced to do manual work around the school, with these rules: if you try and escape once, you will get an extra month in prison; if you try a second time to escape, you'll get 3 extra months of prison; and if you try a third time, you'll be expelled. This is very much a comedy anime and even though some of the subplots are quite dark, most of it is generally very funny, though you really have to get into the mindset to get the humour. (Also, lots of tits and sex-related things - faint hearts are not encouraged).

Death Note



This is basically just the holy grail of all anime, in my opinion. It's something that you just quite simply have to watch at one point or another in your anime watching career. It's about a guy called Light (blondie on the right) who finds a special notebook called a Death Note, that originally belonged to Ryuk (creepy creeps von red-eyes in the middle), a god of death. The basic concept of a death note is that you can kill people with it - I know, hear me out - only the person who owns the death note (so, now, since Light has picked it up it belongs to him) can write a name in the death note and the person will die of a heart attack. Then he can decide when, how and in what circumstances. It explains it better in the actual anime or the scans but that's the basic concept of how a Death Note works. Oh and he's also followed around by Ryuk - there are loads of other rules but I won't spoil everything. When Light finds it, he decides to rid the world of evil by killing all the criminals and goes on a massive killing spree, but then Interpol gets involved and decide to try and find him and stop him, but, Light is really fucking clever so it's really hard to find him, so they decide to enlist the help of L (hottie on the left), a brilliant detective who has never revealed his identity until now. You really have to concentrate to follow what's going on but it's really funny and interesting and great and yeah, you're welcome.
If you're less inclined to watch it because Ryuk looks creepy as fuck, let me reassure you that he's the comic relief of the whole thing - I'm not even joking.

Mew Mew Power/Tokyo Mew Mew



Complete change of type here! Well, I mean, it's still very alternative, other dimension kind of thing, but it's a lot more kawaii than the two others. This was my first ever anime that I watched when I was a kid (not even realising it was anime - I just thought it was a weird cartoon) and started watching it again recently.
It's about when weird aliens try to invade earth and fuck shit up, but the Mew Mew Girls (who represent different animals, I think it's wolf (purple), fish (bright green), cat (pink), monkey (yellow) and a bird (turquoise)) battle them to save the earth. There are different other sub-plots to it but that's basically what it's about and it's really cute and nice and not as intense as the other two.

What are your favourite animes? I'm currently looking for recommendations so if ever you have anything that you like let me know!

Fighting!
M x

No comments:

Post a Comment